MAY 2018 UPDATE
ATHRA members are now invited to apply for the Steam Locomotive Driver and the Steam Locomotive Fireman’s, Diesel driver and fireman and Rail Motor Drivers Training courses – by Email to Steve Deveson, ATHRA National Training and Assessment Coordinator MOB.0407528197
The Training and Assessment Strategy documents and the learning pathways linked here will explain the process:
- ATHRA Steam Driver Heritage railway
- ATHRA Steam Fireman Heritage railway
- ATHRA Diesel Driver Heritage Railway
- ATHRA Rail Motor driver heritage railway
- ATHRA Steam locomotive driver learning pathway
- ATHRA Diesel driver learning pathway
- ATHRA Rail Motor diver learning pathway
These are all summarised in the single ATHRA Training Matrix and Learning pathways document.
The recently issued ONRSR Guideline “Rail Locomotive Boilers” recognises that these ATHRA courses and resultant certificates of attainment (as issued by an ATHRA qualified assessor) deliver all the AQF competency requirements for these roles in so far as ONRSR are concerned . Safework High Risk Work Licenses (Boiler and reciprocating engine driver certificates) represent additional but no longer essential qualifications for ONRSR competency assessments (subject to the operators current Safety Management System requirements).
We have applied for HRWL exemptions in each state as well as to SafeWork Australia for changes in the Model Legislation. However until these negotiations are finalised state legislation still requires operators of pressure vessels/steam boilers to have HRWLs
SEPTEMBER 2017 update
Both the ATHRA Steam locomotive Driver and Steam Locomotive Fireman’s Training Courses are now completed.
Each course comprises:
- Presenter’s Notes
- Participant’s Workbook
- On Job Workbook
- Off Job Assessment
- Off Job Assessment with Answers for the Presenter
- Training and Assessment Strategy (TAS)
The Competency Assessment Checklists at each level have also been developed
- The Steam Fireman’s Competency Assessment Checklist has been trialled on several occasions, and competency units were awarded
- The Steam Driver Competency Assessment Checklist has now also been trialled and two candidates successfully completed their assessments of competence
· ATHRA is developing a Document Control Register defining version identification and who has been issued with what training courses.
ATHRA will soon request nominations for Locomotive Steam Operations Workplace Trainer and Assessors nationwide. Two assessors have been appointed on an interim basis.